Family Grieves for Child Who Died as a Result of E. Coli Infection

The family of Myles Mayfield was devastated to learn that is death was connected to an E. coli outbreak that took place at the very place they thought he would be safest, his daycare facility. Myles was only two years old at the time of his death.

7993041_G

Word has now gotten out that his family made the decision to file a wrongful death lawsuit naming the Learning Vine daycare as the defendant. Although Myles was the only child who passed away from complications caused from the E. Coli, he wasn’t the only child who contacted the bacteria. The South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control  reports that between May and June, fourteen of the children who were being cared for by the Learning Vine developed the E. Coli infection.

In order to make the environment safe for children, the popular day care center closed down for several days in order to complete a thorough sanitizing cleansing process. It’s doors opened again on June 15.

4835613_1433510893.0813_funddescriptionIn the lawsuit filed by Myle’s parents, they claim that one of the Learning Vine’s teacher’s first showed signs of E. Coli earlier in May but that the Learning Vine’s administration failed to do anything to make sure that the infection didn’t spread from the teacher to the young children she cared for. His parents also state that they were never told about the teacher’s illness.

“While I’m sure no one at The Learning Vine wanted this to happen, it happened because this daycare didn’t follow the rules,” said the attorney, Eric Hageman, who is handling the case for the plaintiff. “Parents have a right to expect that daycare facilities to which they entrust their children will follow basic safety and hygiene regulations in place to protect them. Here, that didn’t happen and this family is entitled to know why.”

The first time the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control states that they were told about an E. Coli problem that was connected to the day care was on May 18 and by that time, the person who was supposed to be infected didn’t show any signs of the infection. While the person who contacted the DHEC did state that a few others at the facility were sick at about the same time, it seemed that the illness had run it’s course. The DHEC reported thar they couldn’t find any similar matches to the E. Coli when they looked through the South Carolina database.

What sent up a big red flag that caught the DHEC’s attention was a report of hemolytic uremic syndrome (HUS) that a Learning Vine student had contracted. That report was enough to warrant having the Department of Social Services inspect the daycare. When they left, more than 100 citations had been issued against the Learning Vine, mostly minor The inspectors were concerned about the fact that they saw food being stored near the same place that diapers were changed.

social-worker_2622961k

“This is truly a tragic case. My heart breaks for the family of young Myles,” said Attorney Joseph Sandefur of South Carolina’s top personal injury firm, Joe and Martin. “My hope is the wrongful death lawsuit they’ve filed inspires other daycares to provide safer, more sanitary condition for their young charges.”

If someone you loved suffered a wrongful death, contact an attorney and book a consultation appointment.